SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM
“Repent, and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38)
Contact the pastor after the 11AM Mass to inquire about Baptism. Parents and one Godparent need to attend a baptism preparation class prior to scheduling a baptism. Family needs to be registered in the parish. La familia debe estar registrada en la parroquia.
The Sacrament of Baptism is the first step in a lifelong journey of commitment and discipleship. Whether we are baptized as infants or adults, Baptism is the Church’s way of celebrating and enacting the embrace of God. The sacrament of Baptism initiates one into God’s family and into the OLHC parish family.
- Baptisms are performed after 11AM Mass on Sunday.
- Parents and a Godparent are required to take a Baptism preparation class. One of the goals of the class is to help parents become aware of the significance of Baptism as a beginning, not an end, to a spiritual lifelong commitment for their child.
- Note: A $50.00 contribution is requested on or before the day of Baptism.
Selecting a qualified Godparent is very important. The church expects that at least one parent and one godparent will be practicing, active members of a Catholic parish community. Godparents that are not members of this parish will need to present a letter from their pastor attesting that they are a practicing, confirmed Catholic.
- Godparents must be at least 16 years old. If there are two Godparents, one must be male and one must be female. The Godparent must be a fully initiated Catholic Christian. This means that he/she is baptized, receives Eucharist, is confirmed and has no bounds by any canonical penalty.
- The Godparent must be practicing the Catholic faith. This means they are regularly attending and participating at Masses and should be registered at a Catholic parish. This also means that if married, he/she was married in the Catholic Church.
- The Godparents should be registered members of Our Lady Help of Christians Parish and be turning in Sunday Offerings regularly for (3) months. If they are members of another parish seeking Baptism here, a letter will be required from their parish granting permission for the Baptism to be held at any of our churches.